From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 16:57:07 EDT
Granted this has borderline college hockey content.  Nevertheless, I think some
subscribers will have interest in this post with all the attention that's been
paid to Joe Juneau on the list.

From this morning's T-U:

AREA TIE STILL BINDS JUNEAU

(excerpts)
He has arrived as a legitimate star in the NHL, a millionaire Washington Capital
with a couple of nice homes and and endorsement deal with Easton.

But Joe Juneau doesn't plan to forget the man who has always put him back
together and been a friend in the process.

The NHL is a major league with major-league trainers, but whan all else fails,
inevitably the left wing from Pont Rouge, Quebec, puts in a call to Troy to
speak with Anthony Ortulano.

Since his days as an All-American at RPI, Juneau has trusted "orty" more than
just about anyone outside his family.

The RPI Hea trainer has taped and healed him, comforted and consoled him, and
might be as responsible for Juneau's success as any coach or hockey mentor....

He's a great guy and a great trainer as well, Juneau said of Ortulano.  I
remember last year when I hurt my back and right away I called Ort and asked him
what he thought about it.

I turst him a lot as a person and as a trainer.  Every time I get hurt, I call him to see what the
him to see what the best thing is to do.

But the relationship goes beyond anatomy.
The two are close friends.  Ortolano, an avid outdoorsman, goes fishing with Jun
Juneau in Quebec at least once a year, and Juneau visits ihm whenever he's in
the Capital District.

Last year the Ortolanos were burned out of their home, Juneau called immediately
to help in any way he could.

Just last month, Juneau visited the Ortolanos to show the trainer's kids his
husky's puppies.

"He's my fishing buddy, that's all," said Ortolano.  "We don't talk that much
about athletics.  He talks about his family, I talk about mine, and then we
talk about what the fish are going to bite on. ...The one thing about Joe is that
that trust is an earned entity.  And I would hope that all of our athletes I
have direct contact with trust us and know that we're not in it for anyone but
them.

With Joe, it makes me feel good because I know he's my friend.  He would do
anything for me and my family, like being there when we had trouble with our
house.  Like a lot of other people, Joe didn't have to do that.  That made me
feel good.

...Just for fun Juneau has built two airplanes from scratch.  "I don't think I'm
ever going to have to work one more day after I'm done with hockey.  I just
don't want to be bored, so playing with planes is just one of the things I do, said
said Juneau, who plans to fly them too.

...He (Juneau) did a photo shoot with Cosmo..lyeah I hate his guts, Ortalano
said jokingly.

(article from Bob Croce--complete copies furnished upon request.)
Brian Morris                 RPI Engineers--1995 ECAC Champions