From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1991 16:35:06 GMT
I thank Jack for his comments regarding fan perception of the game, and I
want to say I agree 100%.  Not all ADs are as concerned with this matter as
he is, and so this is very much appreciated.

When I first read Jack's message yesterday asking what the situation was in
other leagues, I said well, I've got some information available to me, so
I decided to take a look at it.  I fully expected to find that at least some,
maybe half of the games would be similar to what he described.  So I was
surprised to find that none of them were.  That led me to believe that the
problem was not with the NCAA rules or points of emphasis, but with the
individual interpretations by each league and each referee.  Perhaps the WCHA
ordered its officials to be more strict than other leagues, I don't know;
maybe some of the individual referees there are taking the directives more
to heart than others.  That's why I suggested that perhaps it would be a good
idea for the leagues to communicate more than they are prone to doing, when
it could help in matters such as this.  Jack and the rest of the WCHA could
find out why this isn't a problem in the East.

I sincerely hope that things improve and that you'll keep us updated on any
progress in the situation.  Thanks...

- mike

p.s. I also agree with Arthur's comments on the cycle that occurs, I have
  noticed this as well.  Unfortunately I have nothing that indicates whether
  this year is any worse or better than the past.  All I can help with is
  the comparison between some games played thus far this year.  My opinion is
  that this year doesn't seem to be any worse than past years, but I have
  no evidence to back that up.