From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 06:30:38 -0500
Over the years, every league in every sport that I can think of has
slowly been increasing the number of teams that make the playoffs.
Sometimes because of expansion, the percentage of the teams that makes
the playoffs temporarily goes down.

In the ECAC, as has been mentioned, before the ECAC-HE breakup, less
than half the teams made it.  Then it became 8 of 12.  This was
changed to 10 of 12, and now some people are stating that all 12 should
have made it because teams 11 and 12 were so close to team 10 this
year.  I personally would like to go back to the 8 teams.  At least in
the ECAC there is some reward (besides for playing a lower ranked
team) for each two positions in the standings.

Teams 1 and 2 get to play a team that had to play earlier in the week,
teams 3 and 4 get a home series, teams 5 and 6 don't have to play the
preliminary games, teams 7 and 8 play the preliminaries at home, and
teams 9 and 10 make the playoffs.

Someone posted a message that the first RPI-Harvard game will be on
Wednesday.  Is this really true?  If so, why?

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74