From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 09:01:16 -0700
On Sun, 5 Mar 1995, Scott Ayen wrote:

> There is no justice in the ECAC!
>
> I say this because of this years final standings.  2 teams with almost
> the same record as the 10th place team had to be eliminated from the
> post-season.  I find this disturbing, i wish the ECAC would let everyone
> in the playoffs like every other league.  I wonder if there is a way to
> convince the league to change?
>
> My 2 cents! - Nice work on the season Dartmouth and Yale
>
> Scott Ayen SLU '96

I must note my disagreement here.  The way the season is set up now in
all leagues serves to first make the season less meaningful than it
should be, then to make the conference tournaments less crucial.  Using
Hockey East as an example, it would be shocking if BU and Maine did not
make the NCAA tournament even if they lost in the first round.  Yes, I
know the "CC" rule means Maine is already in.  The point is that one
wonders what the conference tournament would have in intensity if that
automatic bid meant something for the top teams.  I hasten to add that my
personal position is to give only one automatic bid to each conference
and have it go to the regular season winner, giving that acheivement the
importance it deserves.  I believe also that only the top *half* of a
league should participate in playoffs.  The greed for the dollar and more
rounds is really the only reason why we see such wide participation in
post season.

Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!