From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 08:14:20 -0500
This morning's USA Today has an artricle on Michigan's Mike Knuble,
"Heart Ailment Can't Stop Knuble," by Dave Dye.

Here's a summary of the article:

It begins, "This was supposed to be the season Michigan's Mike Knuble
made a bid for the Hobey Baker Award, college hockey's version of the
Heisman Trophy."  It talked about the irregular heartbeat they discovered
after he experienced trouble in the season opener against York.

"I was sitting on the bench, and my heart was still beating really fast.
I couldn't catch my breath."

He was hospitalized for 2 night will they ran tests.  The doctors
determined that he had an enlarged left ventricle, but they found that
this is fairly common among athletes who have trained strenuously.  He
was allowed to play beginning in a Nov. 4th game against Ohio State.

Coach Red Berenson said, "We're .500 without Knuble in the lineup.
That's the kind of difference he makes on our team.  He plays like a man."

Knuble said, "It made me realize how much hockey is a part of my life,
and not to take it or my ability for granted.  I was concerned about my
career."

Knuble was a 4th round draft pick in 1991 ofj the Detroit Red Wings.
They tried to sign him last summer, but he decided he wanted to play his
senior year with Michigan instead of playing in the minor leagues.