From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 1994 13:56:14 EST
Rick McAdoo writes:

Bruce Crowder has joined the ranks of several other coaches in
requesting that 3rd periods at BC be played in 2 10-minute halves,
with the teams switching ends, to avoid perceived advantages
(disadvantages?) with the non-symmetric benches at Kelley Rink.  Do
other teams/rinks/coaches go through this???

It seems to me that coaches don't use this ploy at Conte as much as they
did a few years ago.  I was watching the game on TV and Bob Norton told
how Jack Parker was the master of this - apparently he used to always do
it at UNH because he felt the lighting was better at one end.  I seem to
remember this 10-minute-half-a-period thing alot during the first few
years that Conte was open.  Has the novelty worn off?

An ironic note: The broadcasters last night were saying that they asked
Lowell coach Bruce Crowder before the game why he chose to use this option
and he said he didn't know, he just felt like being different.  And then
with about 6 seconds left in the first ten minute period Lowell's Billy
Riga (one of Lowell's top three 1-on-none players, IMO) picks up a loose
puck at center ice and breaks out down the left wing ALL ALONE.  Time runs
out before he gets a shot off!!!  I'm sure Crowder breathed a sigh of
relief at that one, and my guess is he won't be switching in the third
anymore!

Welcome to Hockey-L, Rick!!  We definitely could use some BC fans!!

Steve Weisfeldt
Univ. of Lowell  1986, 1988                       Home of the 'Hawks!!
[log in to unmask]                          4-2-1 [1] (7-5-3)