From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 00:14:35 -0500
Did you ever have a dy when nothing goes right? MTU sure did today.
First the stats and then commentary.

MTU 0 2 0 - 2
MIN 3 2 1 - 6

Goalie Saves:

Caravaggio  11 13 12 - 36
Callinan     6  1  6 - 13

1st Period:

Scoring

MIN Crowley (McHugh, Checco) 9:52
MIN Dustin (Fiebelkorn, Moser) 14:04
MIN Larson (Kraft, Hendrickson) 16:34

Penalties:

   MTU Dupont tripping 1:40
   MIN Moser interference 3:12
   MIN Hendrickson slashing 6:20
   MTU Kisil Hooking 16:53
   MTU J. Mikesch 10 Minute misconduct 17:34
   MTU Wright crosscheck 17:34

2ns Period

Scoring:

MIN Hankinson (Moser, Brink) ppg 2:19
MTU Jensen (unassisted) 4:29
MIN Bonin (Brink) 17:41
MTU B. Peterson (Savage) 18:24

Penalties:

   MTU Prokopetz charging 1:24
   MTU Kryser crosscheck 2:19
   MIN Larson interference 4:24
   MTU P. Mikesch Holding 8:42
   MTU Dupont 4 min rough 17:24
   MIN Checco 4 min rough 17:24
   MTU Kisil rough 18:01
   MIN Crowley rough 18:01

3rd Period:

Scoring:

MIN Crowley (Trebil, Kraft) ppg 5:57

Penalties:

   MTU Van Tighem interference 4:32
   MTU Perrett rough 6:32
   MTU Perrett high stick 6:32
   MIN Checco rough 6:32
   MIN Bell crosscheck 7:59
   MTU Van Tighem holding 7:59
   MTU Van Tighem 10 min slash 7:59
   MIN Moser rough 10:35
   MIN Dustin holding 13:35
   MTU Wright rough 13:35
   MTU Prokopetz 4 min rough 17:07
   MTU Prokopetz 10 minute misconduct 17:07
   MIN Godbout rough 17:07
   MIN Hankinson rough 17:07
   MTU Savage rough 17:07
   MTU Kisil slash 19:29
   MTU Sutton delay of game 19:29
   MIN Crowley delay of game 19:29
   MTU Jensen slash 19:38
   MTU J. Mikesch bench minor 19:38

Commentary:

What an ugly game. MTU came out to play in the 1st but
died about half throught the first. Minnesota's Crowley
got on the board by playing ping pong with Caravaggio.
Unfortunately, nobody from Tech covered Caraggio's rebounds,
this goal or later in the game. Too many times, Caravaggio
was deserted and had to face Minnesota single handed.
Dustin was next a Fiebelkorn found Dustin in the zone.
Then it was Larson's turn, beating Caravaggio high on
the glove side.

Things were not better in the 2nd. MTU got only three
shots off during the complete period, two of which
scored. First Minnesota's Hankinson was allowed to
stand in front of Caravaggio for what seemed like
a minute or two while Brink took a shot from
Caravaggio's right and Hankinson redirected it. I neve
thought the puck would ever get to Minnesota's zone
as we would gain control of the puck and then pass it
directly to a Minnesotra player who was so surprised
that he couldn't fire it on net. Then Jensen finally
picked up the puck off the right wall and hammered
a sleeping Callinan (Minnesota didn't need a goalie)
to gain MTU's first score. Bonin backhanded a nice shot
at 17:41 when we again passed directly to Brink who
fed Bonin. Brent Peterson standing in front of a nappng
Callinan received Savage's pass and put it low glove
side. With 21 seconds left, Hankinson went down on the
ice after a hard crosscheck from a passing freightliner.
He returned for the third.

The last period started well with Tech but momentum
was quickly killed when Van Tighem took an interference
call. Crowley put a high one in from top of the box.
Then the game deteriorated into a lot of trash play
as both sides took punches at each other. (WHY WEREN"T
THERE DQ'S).

This was an ugly game. Minnesota played well against
some high school team that should remain nameless. I
promised Mike that I would not comment on reff's but I
basically agree with the Minnsota eyes earlier: not much
better than last night. But it wasn't the reff's that
lost Tech's game: MTU clearly was tired and could not
get their feet moving. Furthermore, there were several
players who should spend all of next week, including
Thanks Giving practicing passes to the right colored
jerseys. You can't score if you give up the puck in
your own zone to the opposition. Caravaggio played
a great game making some fantastic saves: he had to,
nobody else would help him. Despite the different
colored jerseys, I think there were about five Minnesota
players wearing the black piano-dogs.

Forget it ... fortunately, the season is young.

Walt Olson
MTU