From:
Mike Sprung <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Sprung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 14:06:30 CST
        O. K., since I started this yesterday, I feel that it is necessary
to let everyone know how I really feel about the RPI vs. Rensselaer vs. ECAC
vs. HE vs. ...   First let me state that being a relatively new member to
this list, it was a pleasant surprise to realize that the other members are
probably the most cerebral hockey fans anywhere.  In the case of RPI's pos-
sible move to supposedly lower academic standards for increased recruitment,
I expected reactions in terms of wins, losses, goals, and saves; instead the
majority focused on academics.  Like my fellow RPI alumni, I attended the
institute for a highly respected technical education. When Fridays and Saturdays
would roll around, however, I would go to the Fieldhouse to watch what is
in my eyes the most exciting sport the NCAA has to offer.  When the Engineers
were in a tight game with Clarkson, academic standards were the furthest
thoughts from my mind. I'm sure this holds true for the players also.
It's probably a selfish view on my part, but if a change of conference meant
a better hockey program, then I believe it's worth it.  Does this really damage
the school's reputation?  In a world of recruiting violations and payoffs this
can't be the case.   Let me put it this way, RPI is known for both tough
academics and a tough hockey team. A move to HE, and that statement remains
in tact.
        As far as the institute's correct name is concerned, neither one
is recognized nearly as much as they should.  People in the technological
world hold the school in high esteem, but let me say this: I worked too
hard in terrible weather with no women for 4 years for some schmo to ask
me "Is that the school where you get to keep your tools when you get your
diploma?"
                Cheers from Mission Control/NASA Johnson Space Center
                                MIKE SPRUNG RPI '92