From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 10:51:28 CST
Note Blais's anti-woof.  Also note Hendrickson's semi-woof.  I hope the woof
gads don't take revenge on us for this one!  :-) ;-)
-Pam

Headline: Sioux not looking forward to U's visit
Publish Date: 11/11/1994

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

Sometimes battling the nation's top-ranked hockey team is an exciting
opportunity for a squad off to a 1-5 start.

After all, the Gophers started the 1993-94 season 1-5-1 and ended up
winning the WCHA tournament.

But that is not the case for North Dakota, which hosts Minnesota this
weekend.

"We're not looking forward to playing the Gophers," first-year Sioux
coach Dean Blais said. "That's like looking forward to the electric
chair."

The Sioux have had enough problems this season, and their attitude is
cynical at best.

After opening 0-4, they split a series at Denver last weekend.

Their downfalls include inconsistent defensive coverage, poor
back-checking and no effort to block shots, but Blais' main concern
is the team's practicing habits.

"We've had some breakdowns in practice and it's been showing in the
games," Blais said. "We are attacking practice with more intensity
this week. We'll see what happens."

North Dakota's losses hurt even more considering the margin of defeat
-- an average of 4.5 goals per game.

At this point, the only positives are a sold-out Ralph Engelstad
Arena for this weekend's series against the Gophers, and a near
comeback against Northeastern on Oct. 22.

North Dakota was down 5-1 in that game and came back to tie the score
at five, but gave up the game-winning goal in the third period to
lose 6-5.

This season has been a disappointing one for Blais, who starred as a
forward for Minnesota between 1969-1972.

He was the Gophers' rookie of the year for the 1969-70 season and an
NCAA all-tournament team member before moving on to the pro ranks,
where he spent three years in the Chicago Blackhawks minor league
system in Dallas.

Blais has since spent time coaching six different university and high
school hockey programs. He also has coached six different national
programs, including assisting on the 1992 Olympic team.

Blais will no doubt turn North Dakota around, but to what extent is
uncertain.

His strategy against the Gophers is to play a speed game and open up
the offense, which is fine by Minnesota since that is also their
strength.

The Sioux also will try to physically overpower the Gophers with a
strategy Blais dubbed "gooning."

The Gophers are quietly confident. Their success depends on whether
they convert chances and stay focused.

"Everyone on the team knows that we can beat any team in the nation
if we do things right," Gophers wing Dan Hendrickson said. "We will
determine our own future."

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!