From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 1994 09:04:25 -0400
Well, I've been away on vacation. (thats why you milwaulkee people were
able to scoop me on the new schedule!)  Been skimming my mail and there
is just one here I have to reply to.  It actually should go to the Boston Globe,
cause most of you already know the details.

> Ther was an article in today's (5/20) Boston Globe about the Bruins signing
> Blaine Lacher.  (No, I didn't see it on last night's news either.)  Along
> with everything already posted the article did mention his attitude/temper.
> It related the story of the goal he gave up just prior to Christmas against
> Michigan Tech (this is from memory so hope I got the opponent correct) from
> 100 feet away.  Apparently the opponents were trash talking afterwards and
> Blaine picked up one of the Tech players and threw him across the ice (he
> got 2 and 10 for penalties).  The article went on to state that Coach

This is a great example of SENSATIONALISM by the newspapers again:
Just to set it straight let me refresh your memory.

Lacher was beaten from 100 feet, but the only connection to the later action
was lacher had lost his cool.   The incident stated above about trash talking
and lacher throwing someone are rediculous.  what happened, was Lacher used
a two handed slash on Mike Figliomini as he crossed in front of the crease.
After the delayed penality was called on lacher, figi skated over to Brad
to voice his displeasure with the slash.  Again Lacher lost his cool and
as figi skated away to the bench Lacher skated up behind him and cross
checked him in the back to the ice.  Some how this MANLY act of cross checking
a player from behind has been turned into throwing a tech player across
the ice by a writer from the GLOBE.... Give me a break...

The action resulted in 4 min in penalties to Lacher  not 10.

Later in the game Lacher lost his cool again and mouthed off to the ref and
drew 10 min misconduct. As he skated to the box (goalies must serve
 misconducts), he turned and flipped off the ref at center ice, clear for
 everyone to see,
at which point it became a game misconduct.

Lacher has always been good with the stick work, ask anyone who played against
him in St Paul, there were a lot of opponents with sore ankles after the games.

Don't get me wrong, Lacher is a great goalie when he keeps his head together,
but this night he lost it, and For the Boston Globe to glorify him
because of it is just NHL mentality, and another reason to follow college
hockey instead of the NHL.

Off my soapbox for now...

Bob

By the way we signed a new assistant coach last week.  The article is at home
and I can't remember it, but I know it is another Lake Superior State product
I think the name was Blouqe  (pronounced  BLOCK)  anyway I'll type it in
tonight.