From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 10:00:13 EST
From this morning's Bob Croce columns:

Injury report is better for Friday's RPI/Clarkson match-up.  According to Croce
Layzell skated yesterday, and looks hopeful for Friday.  Jon Pirrong's status
was more guarded, however X-raysrevealed no fracture of the ankle.  While the
ankle is currently tightly wrapped Pirrong said " By Wednesday I hope to be
walking and putting full pressure on it.  Hopefully, with icing it'll be OK by
the time we get to Placid.  Then maybe I'll be OK with the right tape job."

And in other news, Croce writes that RPI has been all but assured that if RPI
makes the field, it will play in the East Regional at the Knick.  According to
Rick Comley, while the location of the regional sites will have no bearing on
selecting the 12 teams, once picked,the site will become a "very strong"
factor.  According to Comley "We will consider that (allowing home teams) to
enhance the draw once they make the field."

In other words, if RPI is seeded fourth or better in the East, it plays at the
Knick.  If not, RPI is seeded fifth or sixth in the West, which will then get
moved East, and play at the Knick.

Guess that means Michigan State will get to play at Munn Arena.  That will make
for some very interesting travel decisions.  Will the stronger fifth and sixth
place teams be moved to the opposite regions, so they can play in their home
region?  My guess is that it will be difficult for Michigan State to grab one
of the top four West seeds (not a flame, just the recognition that the CCHA
currently includes two of the top four teams in the nation, and the WCHA
includes two probable top 8 teams.  M-State would then grab a 5 or 6 in the
East.  (Note no prediction for RPI.)

To state the obvious, if teams like Northern Michigan or Western Michigan
should make a run through their tournaments, some teams counting on staying
close to their fans could be very unhappy.  But then not as unhappy as the fans
at RPI and Michigan State if their teams bomb-out in this weekend's
tournaments.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris