From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 05:09:17 -0400
I was recently informed that RPI recruit Jim Vickers is the son of
former NY Ranger Steve Vickers.  This made me think that there have
been many instances of NHL players who did not go to college, but
their sons did.  Examples are Brett Hull, J. F. Houle, Eric Meloche,
etc.  Actually, after a bit of research I learned that Steve Vickers
attended the University of Toronto, probably while he was playing for
the Toronto Marlboros.  I cannot think of a single instance where a
father played hockey for a US college and then his son went the Junior
route.

Every case probably needs to be treated individually, but I would like
to think that the fathers regretted not having attended college and
thus there sons in many cases did attend college.  Any comments?

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74
Does Bobby Orr have a son who wants to be an engineer?  :-)