From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 10:32:42 -0700
The following game account is from today's Edmonton Journal written by
Mark Spector:

CANADA CONQUERS
GERMANY HAMMERED IN MISMATCH

        It was men against kinder.
        One of these days Canada is going to face a decent team at this
World Junior hockey championship, but Tuesday wasn't the day as Canada
hammered Germany 9-1...
        For the second straight night Canada recorded 59 shots to run its
record to 2-0, heading into today's day off at the tournament.  The
competition gets a little better Thursday with the USA on tap, but any
bookie worth his salt would still give you three goals to take USA over
Canada.
        "We'll get our eyes opened against the US," head coach Don Hay
warned.  "It's two rivals that hate each other."
        In their first two games--including Monday's 7-1 thrashing of
Ukraine--the Canadians have outshot opponents 118-35, but only outscored
them 16-2.  Remember, goals differential can be crucial in breaking a tie
in the tournament standings, that's why teams never call off the dogs."...
        Sweden beat Germany 10-2 Monday so its plus 8 equals Canada
against the Germans.  Sweden and Canada are the only unbeaten teams...
        "Technically, Sweden is a better team (than Canada)," said German
coach Erich Kuhnhackl.  "But on the smaller rink Canada plays 60 minutes
very hard.  I think they have a better chance to win their third (title)
in a row."
        Ryan Smyth and Jeff Friesen--on a goal credited to Alexandre
Daigle--scored Canada's only two goals on 26 first period shots Tuesday
against a little German goalie named Oliver Hausler...
        Hausler...opened the second period by blowing a pair of Ed
Jovanovski shots from just inside the blue line.  From there the flood
gates were open, as Marty Murray, Eric Daze, Wade Redden and Harvey
completed a six-goal blitz by Canada in the second period.
        Friesen, Canada's player of the game, scored the only third
period goal, then pumped his fist in front of the German bench.  It was a
pretty cheap gesture by the San Jose draft pick, considering the score
was 9-1.
        "It just worked out that way.  It wasn't intentional." Friesen said...
END OF ARTICLE

        I will be doing my radio program while Canada plays the US
thursday, so the posting will be late.  I want to watch the video Friday
morning without knowing the score.

Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
THE MAPLE LEAF FOREVER!!!
GO BU!!!