Sender:
From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 1994 11:36:39 CST
Sorry about fouling up the LSSU - Maine score, I didn't write it down and
really couldn't remember! Happy New Years and all. ;-)

Here are details of both games. Quoting heavily from the Star Tribune articles
by John Gilbert, Staff Writer. My comments will be in <...>.

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE TOPS MAINE

Coleraine native Tomberlin plays after mother's death

In a rematch of last April's NCAA championship game, Lake Superior State beat
Maine 2-1 in Friday's opening game of the Mariucci Classic hockey tournament.

The rematch had no significance, however, according to players from both
teams, including first-line Maine center Justin Tomberlin, a native of
Coleraine, Minn. He had a more personal motivation for the game after his
mother, Karen, died of cancer Thursday night.

"She told me two days ago that she wanted me to play, even though she knew she
wouldn't be able to come down and watch me," said Tomberlin, who was with his
mother when she died at the family home in Coleraine. "When she slipped into a
coma, then passed away last night, I figured I should fulfill her wishes and
play today. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer last May, but it spread
rapidly. She wanted to die at home, so we've had her at home the last few
weeks. <I read somewhere that Justin had some home to be with her and his
family over the holidays and missed a few games with Maine due to his mother's
illness.>

"Coming back to the team was also a sanctuary for me," added Tomberlin, whose
teammates wore black armbands on his behalf. <Not during the game though,
unless they wore them under their jerseys, as I would have noticed that.>

Another former Greenway of Coleraine player Kurt Miller -- a high school
teammate of Tomberlin and one of his best friends -- played left wing on Lake
Superior's top line yesterday.

Miller had assists on both Lakers goals. Jay Ness scored with a one-time shot
off Keith Aldrige's pass at 13:26 of the first period, and the Soo Lakers went
up 2-0 less than 3 minutes later when Mike Morin plunked Miller's power-play
rebound.

Maine's tradition is explosive offense, but the Lakers are equally famous for
disciplined team defense, which makes them tough to overcome when they get the
lead.

"We don't give up too many second-shot opportunities," said goaltender Blaine
Lacher, who was in goal when the Lakers lost to the Black Bears 5-4 in last
season's national final.

The only goal Lacher allowed yesterday came when Mike Latendresse angled free
in the slot to score a backhander on a power play at 4:12 of the third period.

Greg Cronin coached the Black Bears while head coach Shawn Walsh sat in the
press box during the fifth and final game of a school-imposed suspension for
witholding information regarding the eligibility of a freshman player.

<We noticed Walsh up in the press box and he stayed there in between periods
too! Arthur Mintz watched both games from the press box and stood for most of
the games, but not because he had to....maybe it's just a habit? ;-)

I was also surprised to see Lacher in goal, as I thought he had received a DQ
for the incident where he flipped the ref the bird a week or two ago, must
have been my mistake. He was cool and without any of his traditional
theatrics!

Maine played flat in the first period, but came out and gave LSSU a good
period in the second. That's terrible news about Justin Tomberlin's mother
passing away the night before the game. My sympathy to Justin's family and
friends at Maine. It showed great strength for him to have played last night.
I remember watching him, as he was one of two Black Bears from Minnesota. LSSU
also had two Minn. natives on their roster.>

More on the second game later today.
Happy New Year all!

-Carol

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!