Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1993 09:56:00 PST
I recently obtained a copy of Alaska-Fairbank's proposal to join an expanded
12 team WCHA.  We've already discussed this topic on Hockey-L, but here are
more of the specifics (we had wondered about the divisional alignment) and
such.

The proposal is authored by Scott Roselius (UAF equipment manager, radio
analyst, booster club president and on-campus arena manager) and endorsed by
head coach Dave Laurion.  Those of you involved in booster clubs are aware
that most clubs exist and survive due to the efforts of a small group of
fans.  In UAF's case, Scott Roselius heads the list.  He is the mover in the
world of UAF hockey.  (He and the UAF Face-off Club put on a great Blue Line
Luncheon if you ever happen to be in Fairbanks on a game day.  I had the
pleasure of meeting Scott and others at the UAF-Michigan series in October.)

The proposal concerns "the long term survival of the UAF Hockey Program and
the possibility of an eventual WCHA membership."  The intent is to "at the
very least, create discussion about this subject" and to "stimulate ideas."
 I.e., my impression is that UAF is in no way attempting to push this plan
off on everyone, but rather use it as a starting point in their effort to
become a full conference member.

The plan:

  Scott's proposal makes the assumption that Mankato State will move to Div
I and look to join the WCHA.

  The 12 teams will be broken down into three divisions as follows:

    WEST (UAF, Alaska-Anchorage, Colorado College, Denver)
    CENTRAL (Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, North Dakota, Wisconsin)
    NORTH (Mankato St, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, St Cloud)

The following paragraph is quoted from the proposal:

QUICK OVERVIEW: 1) WCHA expands to twelve-team league adding UAF and MSU. 2)
WCHA plays a balanced 28-game schedule (14 home, 14 road). 3) WCHA splits
into three four-team divisions (West, Central, North) with teams playing
four games a year (2 home, 2 road) against teams within their division, two
games a year (1 home, 1 road) against teams outside their division. 4) Teams
have travel partners for road trips and travel on same weekends to Alaska,
Colorado, Michigan, etc. 5) Teams outside the WCHA West division only make
one trip to Alaska each year and have a home series or bye weekend following
their return. 6) Most rivalries are protected by continuing to play four
games a year. 7) WCHA playoffs are set so a teams win/loss record outside
its WCHA division is taken into consideration for playoff seeding. This
addresses one particular division being stronger than the other two in any
given year. 8) Division winners are crowned to give teams something more to
play for and more fan interest. 9) More flexibility in WCHA schedule for
non-league games and tournaments, etc. 10) Something good happens to the UAF
program and therefore the good of college hockey.  [end quoted material]

Comments:

  First off, let me say that I think Scott should be applauded for his
efforts.  And, although I'd enjoy seeing the Nanooks at Yost, I think that
UAF joining the WCHA makes the most sense.

  IMHO, the plan is fairly well structured.  I definitely like the
divisional format with rivalries such as UAA-UAF, CC-DU, MTU-NMU and every
combination in the Central remaining intact.  Also, as the proposal noted,
it's an opportunity for SCSU and MSU to renew their rivalry from Div II
days.

  And the travel benefits seemingly go beyond Alaska.  For example, take
Minnesota.  For conference play, the Golden Gophers will make one trip to
Alaska, one trip to Colorado and one trip to Michigan.  That's less than
what they do right now.

  The points that threw me are the playoff format and the crowning of a
conference wide regular season champion.  I don't have the solutions, but I
do believe that something equitable can be worked out.  One idea for the
regular season title is to adopt the system used in the Central States
Collegiate Hockey League, which is split into two divisions with a similar
schedule.  Since non-divisional opponents only play each other twice a
season, each game counts for four(4) points in the overall conference
standings.  Hence, each season series is worth eight points, whether the
series is two games or four.  This system can also be used for playoff
seeding.  If implemented, the 28-game WCHA schedule would have a possible 88
points rather than 56.  Please note, I'm not advocating this as the best
solution, simply as one available option.

  Doyle Woody of the ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS cited a more critical stumbling
block.  An excerpt from Doyle's 16 December 1993 column:

  The biggest hitch in all this would be Division II Mankato State, which
last season applied to move to Division I but was denied by the Minnesota
State University Board.  Mankato State is reapplying for Division I status,
but is also trying to figure out how to erase the school's $4.3 million
deficit, its athletic department's $120,000 deficit in scholarship money and
also deal with gender equity.
  Right now, a betting person wouldn't lay odds on Mankato going Division I
soon.  Regardless of what happens with his program, Mankato State coach Don
Brose backs UAF.
  "Whether Mankato is a part of it or not," Brose said, "I feel strongly
something has to be done to help Fairbanks."  [end quoted material]

  I for one hope that the details can be worked out and that UAF (and MSU)
do join the WCHA as full members in the near future.

  John H
  U Mich