Sender:
From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1993 10:27:02 EST
Like the dying man on Monty Python's Holy Grail said, "I'm not dead yet.  In
fact I'm getting better.  I think I'll be up and about in a few days."
College Hockey Magazine seems to be experiencing the same fate.  Remember a
little while ago I posted how the magazine was sold to a different publisher
who in turn decided not to continue it for this year?  Well, I just got
another letter yesterday.  Here's what it says:

   TO: ALL FORMER COLLEGE HOCKEY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIBERS

   Dear College Hockey Fan,

     As you may know, COLLEGE HOCKEY magazine is not being published during
   the 1993-94 hockey season.  The staff who created and labored on the
   project over the past seven years, however, have decided not to abandon
   their collective goals of bringing you the best (and the _only_ full color)
   publication covering college hockey across the country.
     COLLEGE HOCKEY magazine was always a top quality publication serving a
   small niche market.  Now, U.S. COLLEGE HOCKEY magazine will pick up where
   all others leave off.
     Beginning in January, 1994, there will be 12 issues per season (one issue
   every two weeks during the season).  _For the remainder of this season, 7
   issues will be published on that same schedule, concluding with the wrap-up
   issue covering the NCAA Championships in April._
     If you are one of those fans who can't get enough from the local papers
   about our sport, or if you miss the color and quality only a magazine can
   provide, this is your chance!!
     To subscribe for the rest of the 1993-94 season (7 issues for $15),
   return the completed form (below) along with check or money order, and your
   ticket to all the color, action, and excitement that is college hockey will
   be on the way.

Now, here's the kicker guys (and gals) -- the address is the one for the
former College Hockey Magazine, before it was sold to Howe Publishing.  But,
and this is a big but, the form, font style, and content of the letter is
exactly like that which was sent from Howe saying they were NOT going to
continue the magazine.  Hmmm, what's going on here?  Somebody running from the
taxman?  Trying to escape some debt collectors?

Sell off a magazine and then start a similar one?  Buy a magazine, and then
not publish it because the niche is too small?  Why buy it "blind" in the
first place?

Lots of questions.  My answer is they are all the same folks ("they are one
and the same") who ran into some bizarre money problems.  Based on what people
told me about their past history, this is the most likely scenario.

However, despite all these questions, I'll probably still subscribe to it.
They were a very good (and high quality) magazine in the past, and they did
give me my money back at the beginning of the season, so they were trying to
be honest.  What the heck, I've been known to be a sucker in the past. :-)
Russell Jaslow         | Official Contact - Potsdam College Bears |My employer
Eastman Kodak Company  | Potsdam College - 1981 and 1986 NCAA Div.|has nothing
Rochester, New York    |   III National Basketball Champions and  |to do with
[log in to unmask]     winners of 60 consecutive games!     |my drivel.