Sender:
From:
Ross_Bracco USA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 10:50:23 PST
Steve T writes ...

> 1. MICHIGAN (6) 94 PTS. 7-0-1
> 2. MAINE (3) 91 PTS. 5-0-0
> 3. LAKE SUPERIOR (1) 76 PTS. 6-2-0
> 4. HARVARD 58 PTS. 3-0-0
> 5. COLORADO COLLEGE 40 PTS. 6-0-2
> 6. BOSTON UNIVERSITY 39 PTS. 3-2-0
> 7. BOWLING GREEN 37 PTS. 5-0-1
> 8. NEW HAMPSHIRE 28 PTS. 6-0-0
> 9. RPI 22 PTS. 3-2-0
> 10 WISCONSIN 20 PTS. 4-3-1
> OTHERS RECEIVING V0TES: MICHIGAN TECH (17) NORTHERN MICHIGAN (16)
> MICHIGAN STATE (2) ST. LAWRENCE (2) NORTHEASTERN (1)

>Surprising to see UML left off the list(4-0-1) with a win and tie against
>Boston College last week.  Yet Inconsistent teams (Not that UML isn't) like
>RPI and especially Wisconsin make the top ten.

since he brings up RPI, I'll note that RPI seemed to be in the same situation
last year - it is still early in the season and the voters are probably going
more with their preseason biases (although they've grudgingly put Maine
and Michigan back in the top two spots ... those boys just refuse to lose a
game :-) ) than with team records - last year it took a while for RPI to
break into the top ten, despite a good season... given time and tougher
opposition (say, a few points against Maine, UNH or BU) UML will start
to get the same respect.

On the flip side, the Engineers certainly have a chance to really establish
themselves over the course of the month!  They see/saw action with
Harvard, Boston University, Bowling Green, New Hampshire, and potentially
Maine, all in the span of about four weeks - so it's entirely possible it will
be december and they'll have a 8-5 record, but still be firmly planted in
the top ten because of the quality of their opposition - that's how to get
these (meaningless) votes, it seems.

just my two cents ...

Ross

Go RPI!

"God is silent - now if only we can get Man to shut up."
        - Sandor Needleman