Sender:
From:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:03:35 -0500
The answer is to Eric's query is none of the above.  Cornell's
membership in the Ivy League limits their number of games per year.  The
Ivies start play weeks after everyone else, including non-Ivy members of
the ECAC.  This rule was the catalyst for the breaking away of the
Hockey East schools back in the 1980's.  I'm sure Cornell would have no
trouble attracting big name programs to Lynah if they chose to add a
certain number of games to its schedule, nor would they be adverse to
traveling to the Mariuccis and Yosts of the world.  They certainly have
the money to do so.  It's simply the university's decision to limit
their games so that their student-athletes can concentrate on academics
(insert your own snide remark here).

This is also why I largely dismiss silly comments regarding the ECAC
when people ask of the Ivies, "who have they played?"  The answer is
they've played each other.  It isn't that they choose not to play anyone
else; it's that they choose not to play any more.

Edward N. Moller
Controller and Assistant Treasurer
Mount Ida College
777 Dedham Street