Sender:
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:11:34 -0500
7BIT
From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
There have been a couple of western regionals at Van Andel arena in
Grand Rapids.  This is a neutral site, hosted by Western Michigan this
year.  Attendance was about 6300-6500 in an arena that holds about
12,000, if I recall correctly.  I think some past regionals have drawn better.

When the regionals first started there were two held at Joe Louis in
downtown Detroit.  Attendance was maybe 7000-8000 which did not look
good in an arena that held nearly 20,000.  The western regional moved to
campus sites after that.  It made for a better atmosphere, better
appearance on TV while not paying someone else's rent.

The WCHA arena capacities are below.  Given typical attendance there
does not seem much capacity need to go off campus for a rental facility
for schools that want to bid.  Even if a conference bid on it, why would
they want to pay a commercial facility to host it when a member school
could do it?  As well, why wouldn't they want one of their schools to have
a home ice advantage if they could?  There seems to be very little
incentive to make it neutral ice.

Wisconsin - 14,385
North Dakota - 11, 500
Minnesota - 9700
Colorado College - 7343
Alaska-Anchorage - 6206
Denver - 6200
St. Cloud - 5763
UM-Duluth - 5233 (probably too small now, but did have an NCAA final
once)
MSU-Mankato - 4832
Michigan Tech - 4200

Doug Peterson