Sender:
From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:41:41 -0500
I'm going to go out on a limb before the games are even over (I am
accompanied by my trusty saw.)  Plus, I needed something to do while
waiting for the evening games to start.

I started experimenting with USHCO's You are the Committee
(http://www.uscho.com/rankings/yatc.php).  Allow who wins what games
will have an effect, some of the games only cause a team or two to
change a place or two.

The games to watch appear to be CC - Denver and Cornell - Harvard.
The first game has a tendency to jumble up the top four seeds.  In a bit of
counterintuitiveness, a win by CC gets them a second seed while a loss
gets them a first seed.  I didn't did into to heavily as I felt (predicted) a
headache coming on.

Ok, so besides CC, assume the regular season champs win.  Ignore for
now the goofy situation with CC.  The first thing was to place the host
teams, Minnesota and BU in their seed positions.  One bit of arbitrariness
was to Michigan in the Midwest regional.  Given that, it pretty much fixed
the 2nd through 4th positions in each of the regionals.  It worked out
pretty well, and helped avoid that headache thing.

The problem remains in the first position in each region.  Following it
strictly in the case of a CC win means a WCHA matchup in the first round
in Minneapolis.  Following it in the case of a Denver win means sending
BC out west.  In other words, I think some swapping will go on here.  The
easiest thing would be to fix Cornell at #4 and Denver at #3.  That leaves
either eastern regional to put BC in.  For now I will stick with CC winning
and getting the #1 overall.

And tomorrow morning I can laugh about how off I was...

Doug Peterson

1. Colorado College
2. Boston College
3. Denver