Sender:
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:40:37 -0500
7bit
From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
I recall that Spartan Stadium was the natural choice at the time not
only because it was a Spartan that spawned the idea, but Michigan State
had the artificial turf that was necessary to support the rink and
Michigan had natural turf.  That the situation is now reversed naturally
spawns some chatter about whether Michigan should go for a record hockey
crowd of 112K.  But Mike's point about the unusual suitability of
Spartan Stadium is right on.  It's an outdoor stadium that lets fans be
close to the field.  Proabably the only person who could see a puck at
midfield in Michigan Stadium from the last row would be a guy with a
sniper scope.

I haven't been in Fenway, but I'd say "big", "available" and "willing"
are the least of the things that deserve consideration.  The main
consideration might be the size of the video screen on the scoreboard
that fans will actually use to watch the game.

Bob Griebel
Michigan