Sender:
From:
"Moller, Edward N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:44:18 -0500
To: Carl Ford <[log in to unmask]>
First, let me say that I spent this past weekend in DC on business and was
actually able to see the game at a sports bar.  It's called Mr Day's, and is
located in an alley between M and L Streets and 15th and 16th.  They were
extremely accomodating to a lonely Terrier fan.

BU was not supposed to be this good.  I picked them to be .500 at best, with
this season being the second year of a rebuilding process.  Jack Parker has
done a remarkable job picking up a group of players who should have been
seriously demoralized by last year's atrocious effort.

There was pressure on the coaching staff to recruit well last winter, and it
looks like it paid off.  A good indicator of the quality of BU's younger
players is the number they had representing the US in the World Junior
tournament:  Rick DiPietro, Dan Cavanaugh, Pat Aufiero, and John Sabo. Did
any other college have as many as 4?  Except for Cavanuaugh, all came from
the National Development Program.  BU seems to be getting some terrific
talent from there.

The key area of improvement is on the blue line.  You may recall that Michel
Larocque last season was named a Hobey finalist despite having a terrible
year statistically.  No goaltender in college hockey faced as many 2-on-1's
and 3-on-1's as he did.  The defense was nonexistent.  This year it is a
strength.  Pat Aufiero and Chris Dyment are playing like All-Americas
(Aufiero should be a cinch for post-season honors), and Keith Emery is the
most improved player on the squad.  The three freshmen on defense, Fred
Meyer, John Cronin, and Mike Busolli, have performed extremely well.  Except
for Emery, all of BU's defensemen are freshmen and sophomores.  Yet they
look like the best corps of defensemen I have seen this year.

This year's team is diplaying leadership, as compared to last year.  Tommi
Degerman is playing like one would expect a captain to perform.  Chris Heron
is living up to expectations, and Carl Corazzini may be the fastest skater
in Hockey East.  The sophomore class has really improved, particularly Dan
Cavanaugh and Jack Baker.

And then there is Ricky DiPietro.  Enjoy him now.  I don't expect him to
last in college hockey beyond his sophomore season.

Edward N. Moller
Controller
Mount Ida College
Newton Centre, MA  02459-3323