Sender:
From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 00:24:03 -0500
RPI vs. US Military Academy 10/31/98 at
Houston Field House, Troy,NY

officials:
referee: John Gallagher
assistants, Dunn,Bouyea

period 1
 1:25 G RPI (1-0) Munn(Pothier,Murley)
 2:43 P Army Howatt (interference)
 5:12 G RPI (2-0) Tapper(Caley,Murray)
 5:57 G RPI (3-0) McPherson(Gosselin,Henkel)
 6:17 P Army Joyce (cross check)
 7:19 P RPI  Shepherd  (hitting after the whistle)
 7:19 P Army Jamison  (hitting after the whistle)
10:34 P RPI  Cunning (interference)
10:46 G RPI (4-0) Murley(Pothier)  shg
 Army changes goaltenders - Winer out, Scott Hamilton in
15:09 P Army Foss (holding)

period 2
 1:03 P Army Choi (boarding)
 1:37 G RPI (5-0) McPherson(Murphy,Murley)  ppg
 2:01 P Army Joyce (roughing)
 5:42 G RPI (6-0) Cunning(Henkel)
 9:00 P RPI  Coupal (interference)
10:25 P RPI  Riva (hitting from behind)
18:00 P RPI  Murley (double minor - roughing)
18:00 P Army Marino ( double minor - roughing)
18:36 P Army McMeniman (holding)
19:47 G RPI (7-0) Gosselin(Shepherd,Tapper)

period 3
 1:13 P RPI  Gosselin (interference)
 2:26 G Army (7-1) Griffith(Fairman,McMeniman)  ppg
 5:25 P RPI  Riva (slashing)
 6:44 P Army Marino (interference)
 9:08 P Army Lensky (hitting from behind)
 9:08 P Army Choi (roughing + hitting after the whistle)
 9:08 P RPI  Murphy (roughing + hitting after the whistle)
 9:37 P RPI  Tapper (high stick)
10:44 P RPI  Gardiner (charging + 10 min. misconduct)
10:44 P RPI  Cunning (slashing)
14:30 P RPI  Munn (interference)
18:12 P RPI  too many men on the ice

goals    1    2    3    total
RPI      4    3    0     7
Army     0    0    1     1

saves                 1    2    3    total
RPI(Prekaski)         5    9    9     23
Army(Winer/Hamilton)  18   12   13    43

The box score pretty much says it all. RPI got on the board
less than a minute and a half into the game and racked up 7
straight goals before Army got on the board with one in the 3rd.

Usually there are a few things you can count on from the Army
hockey team: tight disciplined defense and tough physical play.
Neither of those were in evidence this evening. I don't know whether
RPI was just fired up from their humiliating play at UML
last week or whether Army was tired from their game with Colgate on
Friday night, but the Army team that showed up tonight was slow and
undisciplined. RPI out-passed them, out-skated them and out-checked
them for 2 full periods. Finally, in the 3rd period, Army slowed
the pace down and started playing their slow, methodical, disiplined
game. Of course, by then, the game was well out of hand. Presumably,
the Cadets just had a bad night, just as the Engineers had last week
against UML.

Points of interest:
Freshman Matt Murley had a goal and 2 assists including a short
handed goal. Murley continues to impress me with his hockey sense,
always seeming to know where to be. The more I watch him, the more
I'm impressed.

Several other freshman made their presence felt tonight including
defenseman Hamish Cunning and Steve Munn on defense (Munn scored
a goal and Cunning had a goal and an assist)
and forwards Jim Henkel (with 2 assists)and Andrew McPherson (who had
2 goals). It was one of those nights where everyone played well.

At one point, Coach Fridgen had freshman Matt Murley on the
power play with senior Mark Murphy and senior defenseman George Murray.
I didn't listen to that part of the game on my radio but I was wondering
whether announcer Jayson Moy had to decsribe any plays with the puck
moving from from Murray to Murphy to Murley. I'd like to hear him say
that quickly three times.