Sender:
From:
"David F. Delchamps" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1991 13:31:29 EST
	I hadn't planned on adding to the Pierre Belanger discussion,
but I decided finally that my "alternative" viewpoint needed to be aired.
As a Cornell fan, I have witnessed Pierre at what some consider to be
his worst --- taunting, finger-pointing, mean-spirited, and volatile.
On the other hand, I must admit that he is an exceptionally talented
referee in the sense that his vision and sense of what is going on in
a game appear to be second to none.  He comes across as omniscient;
he shines in the "pure ability" category when compared to such referees
as Terry Kirby (he used to be ECAC --- is he still around in Hockey East?)
and Michael St. Louis (aka "St. Clueless").  In my view, he is capable
of calling a game any way he wants to ---- I really think he *does* see
everything in the sense that he's on top of every play; I don't mean
to say that he calls everything "correctly" (I've seen him have problems
especially with goal/no goal calls).

	He does, in my view, need to learn to control his temper.  A referee
is almost not allowed to be "human."  I have seen many instances,
particularly involving French-Canadian players, in which Pierre's
childish behavior appeared even to embarrass the linesmen (they glanced
at each other and shook their heads while Pierre wasn't looking).

					Dave Delchamps
					Let's Go Red!!