Sender:
From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 13:57:22 -0500
Comments:
A correction to my post of last night regarding the RPI/St. Lawrence contest.
The scoring on RPI's fourth goal was changed after the game with Eric Healy
identified as the goal scorer instead of Pete Gardiner.  According to the T-U
the play was as follows:

St. Hilaire slide the puck over to Gardiner who let loose with a wrister from
the left wing. For a few moments the puck sat in the crease, until Healy reached
behind St. Lawrence goalkeeper Jon Bracco and tapped the puck in the net.
The following scene was almost comical, because everyone mobbed Gardiner, th
thinking the freshman had scored the goal, while Healy--who had lost his stick
on the play--celebrated alone.

The credit for the goal was changed from Gardiner to Healy after the game, but
Gardiner didn't care about losing the hat trick.

"I can live with that.  I can live with one.  I can live with none, as long as
we get the win.  Finally, we got the bounces.  Hard work paid off tonight."
---From this morning's T-U report by Mark Singelais

Although Gardiner loses the hat, Healy certainly deserved the goal having an
extremely hard working night totalling 16 shots on goal.  For the game RPI was
credited with 59 shots on goal, which gives some idea of the kind of game that
Bracco turned in for the Fighting Saints.

Nevertheless, my continuing displeasure with the official scorer for the
Engineers continues unabated.  I have seen other occasions where the scoring has
been announced wrong at the game and subsequently corrected in the official box.
I also have a continuing problem with the generous shot keeping the scorer
seems prone to engage in.  But enough quibbling, a win's a win.
Brian Morris                   RPI Engineers--Big and Nasty