Sender:
From:
Scott Monaghan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 1995 11:51:48 -0500

> These, of course, are not close to the best record, assuming we agree that
> teams should not be penalized for playing when freshmen were ineligible.
> Cornell's '70 seniors (Dan Lodboa, John Hughes, Dick Bertrand, et al.) with
> a 3-season record of 83-4-0 (.945) just edge out Cornell's '69 seniors at
> 81-5-1 (.937) for what must be the best in the modern era.  The Cornell
> 5-season record from '66-67 to '70-71 was 131-10-2 (.923), and the record
> from '65-66 to '71-72 was 176-21-2 (.889), a percentage over _seven_ seasons
> well above those quoted above.
> > --
> Chuck Henderson  <[log in to unmask]>

Jeff Jackson has produced some outstanding groups at Lake Superior State
as well.  In fact,  two of the classes he recruited as an assistant have
recorded top marks:

The ill-fated senior class of 1991 (Jim Dowd, Tim Breslin, Karl Johnston,
etc.) went 131-33-19 (.768).  That class won a NCAA title,  two CCHA
regular season titles and a playoff title.  The team was ranked No. 1 its
entire senior year,  but Clarkson pulled off the miracle and upset them
in the NCAA quarterfinals.

The senior class of 1993 (Dean Hulett, John Hendry, Mike Bachusz and Mike
Smith) recorded a higher winning percentage (131-32-16; .776);  won two
CCHA Playoff titles and appeared in two NCAA title games (winning in 92;
losing in 1993).

The 1994 seniors (Clayton Beddoes, Kurt Miller, etc.), Jackson's first
class as head coach, won two NCAA championships;  three CCHA playoff
titles and a conference regular-season title.  Their four-year record was
129-32-17 (.772). They also appeared in three straight NCAA title games
after that freshman loss to CU.

The 1995 seniors fell just two games short of becoming the first class
(We think) to appear in the title game all four years of their career.
They also won three conference tournaments.

Those records don't necessarily rank among the best,  but certainly show
a consistent mark of success.

Congrats to the Terriers.  Nobody has smoked the Lakers in a playoff game
like that since Harvard in 1989!

S. Monaghan,  LSSU