Sender:
From:
"Jack Berenzweig U.S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 20:52:30 -0500
I have just faxed the following complaint letter to ESPN.  Anyone who wishes
to borrow all or part of the letter has my permission to do so.

"VIA FACSIMILE
1-203-584-5890

Mr. Curt Pires
Manager - Media Relations
ESPN
ESPN Plaza
Bristol, CT. 06010-7454

Re: Coverage of NCAA Hockey Semifinal Game 1

Dear Sir,

                I am writing to voice my strong protest of ESPN's "live" coverage of the
Michigan v. Maine hockey game.  You advertised that the game would begin at
1PM EST.  Because of your commitment to women's tennis, the "in progress"
coverage of the hockey game started almost one hour later and we were not
shown the entire first period of the hockey game.  Your alleged excuse for
this was ESPN's so called policy of never leaving an event that is "in
progress" (the Heidi situation).

                This so called policy of avoiding a Heidi situation was then promptly
ignored by ESPN during the third overtime period.  ESPN totally deceived all
of the hockey viewers when ESPN delayed the telecast of the third overtime
period to show a meaningless golf interview.  Your judgment stinks.  But more
importantly, what you did was illegal.  Under FCC rules, the audience must be
advised of any tape delayed broadcast.  THIS WAS NOT DONE.  In fact to the
contrary, ESPN passed off the third overtime period as being presented
"live", when in fact it was tape delayed by fifteen minutes. "

Jack Berenzweig