Sender:
From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 23:33:31 EST
Comments:
     I would agree to a point.  Replays would be acceptable if ALL Div. I
arenas had them.  Also, the blue line camera is unnessecary because replays
should NOT be used to check offsides and icing calls.  If a man is ruled off-
sides and a goal is scored, the goal cannot be allowed because the defense
quit.  If no goal is scored, all we get is a faceoff in the zone instead of
out of it, not worth wasting the time.  The only situation it could
conceivably help is if a goal is scored on an offsides play that isn't
called.  This is rare enough not to justify the expense of the cameras.
The NHL has replay for goal situations and it works pretty well, though it
is rarely used.  I do remember, though, that the Red Wings were awarded a
goal in overtime of a Game 6 at  Minnesota a few years back, winning 1-0.
They were down 3 games to 2 and went on to win the 7th.  Without the replay
there the North Stars (remember them) would have won a series they didn't
deserve.  As I recall, the replay was checked at the next stoppage which
happened to be when the North Stars scored themselves.  Talk about a
turnaround.
   Anyhow, back to the point, replay would be good for this kind of
situation, but not for smaller calls such as offsides.