Sender:
From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 16:15:15 EST
>Posted on 5 Mar 1995 at 11:34:32 by Glen Keeney
>
>Re: No justice in the ECAC
>
>And though they didn't make the playoffs - I wonder if Dartmouth would have
>won those last two games without the inspiration of trying for a playoff
>game.

I have to agree with Glen on this one. The ECAC playoff format (including
ten teams, but also eliminating the bottom two) makes for exciting races.

>On top of which, isn't it a disadvantage to the 7 and 8 teams to
>have to play a midweek contest to try to get in to a 2 of 3 the following
>weekend?

Yes, it is a disadvantage for the teams ranked 7th through 10th, but that is
precisely the point. The top two teams have an advantage in the quarter-
finals by playing an opponent that only got two days of rest. This
situation generates a lot of competition among the top teams for the
top two spots. There IS a big difference between finishing 2nd and
finishing 3rd.

The ECAC has a good playoff format. It generates interest and fierce
competition in the last couple of weeks of the season, while also rewarding
the top teams. To give Union (6-12-4) and Cornell (8-10-4) the same
chances of getting to Lake Placid as Clarkson (14-5-3) and Brown (13-7-2)
would be unfair. The regular season means more in the ECAC than perhaps
in the other three leagues because of the current playoff format.

The bottom line is that THERE IS JUSTICE IN THE ECAC.

Luiz F. Valente