Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 14:49:57 -0400
Using the March 10, 1995 Hockey News, I attempted to identify
every college alumnus who has played goal in the NHL this season or
who is on a roster. I'm sure I missed someone, but my count is
13 of 59 goalies used/rostered.

Ana Guy Hebert (Hamilton)
Bos Blaine Lacher (LSSU)
Buf Robb Stauber (Minn)
Cal Jason Muzzatti (MSU)
Chi Ed Belfour (UND)
NJ  Chris Terreri (Prov)
NYR Glen Healey (WMU)
NYR Mike Richter (Wis)
Ott Darrin Madeley (LSSU)
SL  Jon Casey (UND)
SL  Curtis Joseph (Wis)
TB  Daren Puppa (RPI)
Was Jim Carey (Wis)

The count in the IHL (used only) is 10/39, including

Det Norm Foster (MSU)
Ind Chris Rogles (Clark)
Ind Christian Soucy (Verm)
Mil Bob Mason (UMD)
Mil Jim Hrivniak (Merr)
Min Tom Draper (Verm)
Min Dave Gagnon (Col)
Peo Parris Duffus (Cor)
Pho Mike O'Neill (Yale)
SD  Bob Essenssa (MSU)

The count in the AHL (used only) is 14/37, including

Alb Mike Dunham (Maine)
Cor Garth Snow (Maine)
Her Les Kuntar (SLU)
Her Neil Little (RPI)
Her Scott LaGrand (SLU) (now w/Atl, IHL)
He  Aaron Israel (Har)
PEI Mike Bales (OSU)
Por Jim Carey (Wis)
Roc Steve Shields (MI)
SJ's Bruce Racine (NE)
SJ  Dwayne Roloson (UM-L)
SJ  Jason Muzzatti (UM-L)
Spr Chad Erickson (UMD)
Wor Wayne Cowley (Col)

I probably missed somebody in the I or A, but this should be
a good estimate. The NHL percentage is around 21 - if memory
serves, the overall NHL percentage of college alumni is something
like 17-18 percent.

I was also under the impression that college goalies do better in
the pros than other positions. Two factors I would suggest that
contribute are that goalies generally mature/peak later in their
careers, hence a 22-23-24 year-old college grad is likely to be
given a better shot at the Show than the equivalent F/D, and that
teams generally get more out of goalies that are deeper in the
system since they can only carry two or three at a time on any
given team. For example, a goalie-poor team like Philadelphia has
Roussel and Hextall in the NHL, has rotated three goalies at
Hershey and kept a pair in the ECHL. Hence, Aaron Israel and Neil
Little are 'closer' to the NHL than other players on Hershey or
Johnstown. If a starting goalie is hurt at the NHL level, the
domino affect gets someone - like Les Kuntar w/Montreal last
year - up to the Show a little quicker. Plus, GM's treat goalies
like kickers - if he doesn't do the job, go out and get another one.
So goalies are recycled more often.

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck