Sender:
From:
"Dr. Pamela J. Sweeney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 10:20:48 EST
Headline: Injuries force Huskies to use walk-on goalie
Publish Date: 03/02/1995

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

To most hockey fans, injuries seem like an excuse, but for St. Cloud
State, injuries are a reality that have left the WCHA coaches'
preseason pick to win the conference in dire straits.

``We've had 16 different players hurt this year, and we've had no
consistency in our lineup,'' Huskies coach Craig Dahl said. ``That's
been our chore for the first half of the season.''

By contrast, only five Gophers players have been injured this season.

One of the most significant injuries for the Huskies was last year's
second-leading scorer, Marc Gagnon, who had leg and ankle injuries
and missed 15 games.

But no other task has been as monumental for SCSU than the search for
a healthy goaltender.

The Huskies lost their number-one goalie, Neil Cooper, before the
season started when he suffered multiple injuries in a car accident.
He was immediately declared out for the season.

Freshman Brian Leitza, the team's number-two goaltender, aggravated a
bulging disk in his lower back during warm-ups for a game against
North Dakota on Jan. 20.

Then SCSU's third goaltender, Dave Stone, tore his hamstring only two
games after Leitza's injury.

The Huskies were forced to turn to junior Jason Jiskra, a
fourth-string goaltender who hadn't stepped into a rink in two
months.

``I was surprised (when the SCSU coaches called),'' Jiskra said. ``I
didn't know they had the injuries because I hadn't been paying too
much attention. They just explained the situation and said, `If you'd
be able to play, we need the help.'''

Jiskra, who has been married for two years and has a 1-year-old son
named Zachary, was playing for St. Cloud State earlier in the season,
but quit around Thanksgiving to spend more time with his family.

``I was hesitant (to play) at first,'' Jiskra admitted. ``But my wife
and I decided that this is what I had been waiting for, and I should
take advantage of it.''

And since Jiskra has been back, the Huskies are 6-1-1, including a
win and a tie against Wisconsin and sweeps against Alaska-Anchorage
and Northern Michigan.

``Every team wants to play their best hockey at the end of the
year,'' Dahl said. ``This year has been frustrating, but the team has
a great attitude.''

Despite Jiskra's success, he is uncertain of his future with the
Huskies.

``I've been feeling good and playing really well,'' Jiskra said.
``But I don't know what is in store for me right now.''

Such is the story for SCSU -- nobody knows what the future holds as
the team heads into its final regular season series with Minnesota.

The Huskies are fighting for the fifth spot in the conference and a
chance to play at home in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

Dahl said that the Huskies' inconsistency on the ice is the focus of
his squad, but he added that home ice is critical as well.

``Almost every team that has home ice in the first round goes to the
Final Five,'' Dahl said. ``So it's very important for us to get that.

``But each weekend is a different story. What happened in the past
doesn't concern us right now. The most important thing for us is to
play consistent hockey. (And) it remains to be seen if we can play
that consistent.''

The Gophers are betting that the Huskies can do that, despite facing
a possible fourth-place finish if the two teams split this weekend.

``The only way to protect ourselves against fourth place is to win
two,'' Gophers coach Doug Woog said. ``And St. Cloud (State) has more
incentive this weekend.''

Gopher notes: Rookie winger Joe Pankratz skated for the first time on
Wednesday since he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in late
January. He won't play until at least the WCHA Final Five, which is
at the St. Paul Civic Center, March 16-18.

-Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!
Go White Bear Lake Bears!!!  Beat the SGS!!!