Sender:
From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 10:11:53 CST
Yesterday the Minnesota Golden Gophers held their annual "Skate with the
Gophers" event. It was a HUGE success!

There were rink rats and their parents already in line when I and the other
volunteers (mostly Gopher hockey parents) arrived at 2:30. The event was set
to start at 3:45!

This year the team did not go on the ice, but were set up at tables on the
concourse available to sign autographs. The lines were long from the moment we
opened until they finally turned off the lights at about 6:10! The event was
scheduled to end at 5:45.

Those who attended paid a $1.00 admission charge and all proceeds went to the
Local foodshelf. Also available for the small fry to do, were open skating,
face painting, a coat and skate check, free skate sharpening, shoot-out
contest, a baby picture contest, signing a Gopher good luck banner for the
team, a corner where you could take your photo wearing a Gopher jersey and
stand next to the Broadmoor trophy, and of course the player autographs.

I was assigned to autograph station number three and was in charge of crowd
control, making sure that the line moved at a good pace and that everyone got
in line. The players at my station were Mike Crowley, Jason Godbout,
Ryan Kraft, Casey Hankinson, Justin McHugh, Dan Hendrickson, Brian LaFleur
and Jeff Moen.

The players were *so* good with the young rink rats who were getting the
autographs on everything from mini-sticks to post-it notes. :-) Usually asking
the kids where they were from and what position did they play. Very sweet.
Best quote from the day was when a small boy asked Jeff Moen, if he "was the
assistant goalie?" Jeff just smiled and said he guessed that was a good way to
put it.

I met a lot of the parents and spent some time talking with Mrs. Crowley and
Mr. Moen. The parents are all very nice folks!

Many of the attendees and their parents had a great time and liked the new
set-up, although some made some suggestions for improvement the next time
around.  I thought this year was the best, and much less stressful than in
previous years.

It's an event worth attending, no matter what age you are!!

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!