Sender:
From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 22:06:50 EST
It is so rare when I can spot an error in someone else's post (mine are
usually the mother lode.)

Adam Oates broke in with the Detroit Red Wings, signing the biggest rookie
contract at that time, and I believe unbroken until Eric Lindros.  Oates did
time at Glens Falls before sticking with the parent.  Oates was traded to the
Blues after somehow losing favor with then-coach Jacques Demers.

The other college guy I think of as really succeeding in the pros is Joe
Nieuwendyk (sp)?  I personally thought he should have received the Hobey, but
it never seems to go to the consensus pick (except for Kariya.)  My personal
theory is ability around the goal is the thing which separates Hobey winners
from pro players.  I would guess that you would have a better chance making it
as a collegiate forward than an defenseman, since I would suspect size would
play a prime consideration in the pros--Chris Chelios being the obvious
exception.  And winning the Hobey is even  more difficult for a defenseman than
a goaltender, since it is hard to identify the statistics which could illustrate
an exceptional defenseman, other than scoring.  You don't see many high scoring
defenseman in college, in fact you don't see many defenseman who step up into
the offensive zone.  (Maybe Chris Imes should win the Hobey this year!)

In a roundabout way, I am saying that it is most likely that a forward will win
the Hobey in any given year, and most forwards in college don't have NHL-type
ability around the goal.

Ok, cue the flamethrowers.
Brian Morris                 Go RPI!  Home ice is in sight!