Sender:
From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 17:53:36 -0500
Matt writes:

"I'm not saying Minnesota didn't start anything, I didn't see the games.  I do
know one thing though, when it comes to gooning it up, it takes two to tango."

I agree: MTU's Saturday performance was nothing to be proud of.

"How can you praise a player (Prokopetz) that runs a goalie.  A move like that
makes him the scum that scum scrapes off its skates."

Jason Prokopetz is a player who works hard and has skills. Unfortunately,
he makes mistakes of judgement. I have commented on this before, both to
this list and to Jason personally. Jason has spent a lot of time in the
penalty box, deservedly. I do not admire his propensity for roughing and
carrying on after the whistle. I particularly do not like what he did
Saturday. Jason lost his cool and this can not be tolerated. I am certain that
Coach Mancini will deal with this. If Jason can not play under control, then
he should not play hockey, no matter how good he is while the game is in
progress. I prasie Jason for his skill but just as quickly criticize he for
these mistakes.

"Were the Minnesota divers really that much better?..."

It's a matter of opinion. However, Minnesota did seem to find the ice with
their nose every time a check was laid on them. Many of these resulted in
whistles and questionable penalties. I also commented when one of our players
took a dive. I try to be honest and call it the way I see it. I may not
be right but I do try to be honest. Some have said that I reported a lopsided
report after Friday's game. Maybe: I am, after all, a fan of MTU Hockey. I try
to be even handed but that is the way I saw the game. You and other Minnesota
fans might see, or shall we say, hear/read, the game differently. If so, file
your own report as I do each week. I don't claim to be perfect and my comments
bear no official blessing of the events. Coach Mancini, on occasion, is just as
critical as you are about my comments. I try to report it as best as I can
but suffer from human fraility and the ability of making neither side happy.

"I didn't see it but I got a much different story through the newspapers and
from the radio."

Of course, you listen to a Minneapolis/St Paul station, read Minneapolis
St. Paul newspapers. Need I say more?

Walt Olson
MTU