Sender:
From:
Matt Rein #3 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 15:09:58 CST

> Is it just me, or are the most memorable moments from the Gophers/
> Huskies series the fights?
>
> Remember about 5 years ago when Cory Laylin, Tom Pederson, Jim Bonner,
> and another Husky went at it in front of the goal in Minnesota?  I
> still have that newspaper picture hanging on my wall, and can't
> get the vision of Bonner's head bouncing off the ice as he took
> punches from Pederson out of my head.  Tech has always been a physical
> team, in the past I thought it was to make up for lack of offensive
> talent, but in the recent year or two they have shown that they can
> play with the best in the league...at least Darcy Martini is out of
> there - boy was he a pesk vs. Minnesota!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that Darcy Martini's head bouncing off the
ice from Pederson's punches?  I remember the "fight", if you could call it
that, at the old barn.  I might not remember the exact player but the
difference in height between Pederson and whoever he beat the crap out of
was quite great.  Pederson is very short but his shoulders are about as wide
as he is tall.

And about the comments by [log in to unmask] on the Minnesota/MTU game on Friday:

> MTU gained a tie in a rough and penalty filled game with
> Minnesota last night. I normally thought of Minnesota as some
> what of a classy team but last night broke that illusion.  They
> came in looking like a NHL loser of the mid-eighties: fighting,
> taking cheap shots, holding, picking, interfering, etc.  The
> result was obvious: each team took twenty of more penalties
> and each team had a DQ.

I didn't see it but I got a much different story through the newspapers and
from the radio.  If the Gophers were really gooning it up where MTU was not,
how come Minnesota scored 2 of their three goals on the power play; one with a
two man advantage.  (Wasn't the other goal a 4 on 4?)

Then in the 8 to 1 Minnesota victory, how many of those were on the power play?
At least two.  Hmmm I think I see a pattern.

Were the Minnesota divers really that much better?...
> pocket was empty demonstrating the one-sidedness of the calls.  We did
> get one call in MTU's favor when Pat Mikesch did a beautiful pirouette
> dive to bring emphasis to a Minnesota penalty. However, our dives were not
> in general as well practiced as those of Minnesota: we were geting 1.2's
> while thery were getting 8's, 9's and 10's. We lost our discipline in the
> 2nd and did not not regain it in the game.

> The person that I worried most about in this situation, Jason
> Prokopetz, played a superb game last night.  He took only one
> penalty last night and that one was caused by Minnesota's Jed
> Fiebelkorn who gained 4 minutes to Jason's 2.  Prokopetz's
> play really has stepped up a notch: in one play, I believe it

How can you praise a player (Prokopetz) that runs a goalie.  A move like that
makes him the scum that scum scrapes off its skates.

I'm not saying Minnesota didn't start anything, I didn't see the games.  I do
know one thing though, when it comes to gooning it up, it takes two to tango.

One more thing.  What color is the sky up there in Houghton???

--
- Matt Rein