Sender:
From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 03:44:39 GMT
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
I thought that Kurt had said it pretty clear before.

But to add some more comments to what has already been said.

I stated this before the game began, and I will reiterate it, and
will stick to what I said on the air.

I believe that starting Masotta was a good move.  Masotta had not
played since the Army game, and if he had not played at Princeton,
he would not have gotten another chance until at least the RPI
Inviational, and I do not believe he would have gotten the start
versus Merrimack, and then in turn Maine or Miami.

He would have been cold.  He would have been a very disgruntled young
man.  This is the same person that said, "I did not come to RPI to be
a backup goaltender".  Fridgen could not help that Tamburro has been
hot.  Tamburro has also benefitted from an inspired defense.

The keys to RPI beating Brown, Harvard, and Union were basically 2
guys on the defensive side, and some offense.  On the defensive side
was Jon Pirrong and Bryan Tapper.  Pirrong especially.  On the defensive
side, that fourth line of Kwas, Kiley and winger of the game (Battaglia
or Maye).

Well what happened.  Pirrong did not have a good game.  Tapper was intimidated
by some huge hits in his own corner. Neutralized was these 2 forces.
Pat Rochon still can't make up his mind whether he wants to be an
offensive defenseman or a defensive defenseman. Chris Aldou is still having
trouble adjusting to the Div I game.  Pat Brownlee though started showing a
little spark, as he seemed more comfortable.

The defense let RPI and in turn Bryan Masotta down.  Why?
Don't know, but here are some examples.

Princeton's first goal.  JP O'Connor is checked in the left corner, he
can not possibly move the puck as on the 4 on 4, Rochon has him tied up.
As the other defensemen what do you do?  Do you:
a) chase the puck
b) Stay in front of the crease and let things run
c) follow your man to the boards

The answer is obviouslly not c, as Flahr snuck in from the point when
Ppirrong went to chase his man to the boards.  Flahr all alone in front,
bam 1-0.

Example 2
You as a defensemen come through the neutral zone.  You seem to have no where
to go.  Do you:
a) Dump in of the boards
b) Pass to an open player
c) Pass diagonally to an open player

The answer is obviouslly not c, as Bois snuck across, stole the puck at
center ice and broke in all alone of Masotta for a breakaway goal.

I think the defensive point is made.

Let's go back to goaltending.  Masotta looked shaky in the first 5 minutes.
This all due to his not getting playing time since November 5.  But then
he seems all ready to go, as he makes 13 saves in period 1, as RPI's defense
takes the night off.

Then he has no chance on Flahr's goal.  He also has no chance on Goal number
2 (can't seem to recall it, but I do remember that it was a gimme).  Then
on goal 3, a point shot by Colquhoun, goes above Masotta's glove.  He
saw it all the way, it was not a fast shot, it just went in.  Then
the next goal was a shot in front which Masotta failed to cover up, and the
rebound was put back.  Then Bois' goal.

It just seemed that Masotta fell apart after goal number 2.  Due to nerves,
freshmen syndrome, who knows.

Offense.

Wayne Clarke's goal was unassisted.  Not a breakaway though.  He skated from
center to the goal line, right of Konte, and then came out in front as
Princeton did not check hima t all, and just slid it under Konte.

Power Play
RPI was 0 for 5.  Kurt mentioned that RPI shortened 3 power plays because
they took penalties in the offensive zone.  The Engineers are much
too guilty of this offense, too frequently.

Princeton was 1 for 7 because they had 3 abbreviated 5 on 4's, and 2
abbreviated 5 on 3's.

Coaching

I will still stick with it and say that Masotta should have gotten the
start.  A lot of others, even in my radio crew disagreed with me.  They
said do not mess with a streak.  I disagree.  Superstition should play
with nothing (though I am  guilty of it at times, so I am a hypocrite).

I believe that there was 2 mistakes Fridgen made ( and then I am not a coach,
never was, and probably never will be either).
1) Should have called the time out way before the 5th goal.  Should have
come after goals 3 or 4, as it was evident Masotta was shaken.
2) Either pull Masotta then, put Tamburro in to stop the bleeding, and
then either leave Tamburro in, or put Masotta in once again to get him
back into the game.

I was in shock yes, but you could have seen it coming.

None of the above should take away from the outstanding game that
Princeton played.  The took every opportunity, every chance, and never
stopped at all. They outhustled, outmuscled and outplayed RPI in every
asppect of the game.  James Konte had a magnificent game, as he looked
extremely sharp.  The forwards for Princeton had it all together.
Every line clicked for them.  The hardest working line was the line
of Brush-O'Brien-Masters.  A superb effort by them. The Tiger
fourth line also was very impressive.  Ranaldi-O'Connor-Verdon.  Not
to mention lines 1 and 2.
On defensee, big imposing, and mean.  They do the job very effectively fo
the Tigers.  They are by no means a poushover team.  I am terribly
impressed with Gavin Colquhoun.  This guy can flat out play, and leads
the offensive rush as well as Mueller does for Clarkson.  He also dishes
it out on the defensive side.

If you were to look at it, I give the win straight up to Princeton. If there
was defense and ok goaltending, the score still would be Princeton on top.

The lack of those two ingredients made it a blowout.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *