Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 11:01:53 -0500
Charlie Shub writes:
>one should observe that at the end of the season in the wcha, the
>total points and points per conference game will provide the same
>ordering.  I'm merely observing that perhaps the points per game
>statistic may provide a better prognosticator than total points.

I wasn't going to say anything about this ongoing battle :-) until I
read the above which I disagree strongly with...because right now, not
only have teams played different numbers of games, but teams have also
played different opponents.  Points per game *doesn't* tell us anything
more, especially when a team that may be ranked higher in points per
game may have also played a much weaker conference schedule at this
time in the season.  What does it prove if TeamA has more points in
more games against the cream of the crop, while TeamB has a higher
points per game against the weakest teams in the league?

Of course, as the season goes on, points per game and regular points
will converge.

But at this time, it might be better to prove the point (so to speak)
by creating a TCHCR-like comparison of the WCHA teams.

>Erik's ranking below by size of mascot...

Hey, hey...you know full well that that was my idea (parodying this
whole deal). :-)  The point being that sure, points per game is a
different way of ranking the teams...so is size of team mascot.

>Points per conference game provide some trend information.

Again, I am not sure what it provides that is different from the
normal points scheme...given all of the other factors that are also
involved and are still not accounted for.

I'd like to find another way to rank the Hockey East teams to make
Merrimack look better than their record since I don't think it is
indicative of the way they have been playing, but it still doesn't
change the fact that they are tied for 7th.

>Performance
>against common opponents does also.

I agree more with this, along with quality of opponents.  This is why
I would suggest a TCHCR-like evaluation of the WCHA to take into
account both games played and opponents faced.

>Until
>then, i'll continue (as time permits) to add points per conference
>game to the standings and the scoring stats.

Forgive me if I remain skeptical about the chance that this will
continue when CC ends up in the same place that the real standings
show! :-)

At least we will probably only have to go through this for one more
week...since CC & Minnesota will even up their conference GP the first
weekend in December.

BTW, out of curiosity...is this newfangled way of ranking the WCHA
teams appearing in the papers out there too?  Will people everywhere
pick up on it as long as it makes their team look good?  Again,
forgive my cynicism.