Sender:
From:
Rick Scero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 10:44:15 EDT
*Message:
From: SCERO at OLEC
Date: 10/28/94 10:01AM
To: INTERNET:[log in to unmask] at OCF_INFORM
Subject: Re[2]: Formal complaint against a referee
Contents:

>Is there some channel by which to make a formal complaint against a referee?

Ryan replies....
>I would think fans would have no means to "file" a "formal" complaint
>against an official. In fact, as a baseball umpire myself, I don't
>believe fans should be able to "file" complaints. But anyway, complaints
>are probably handled by whoever's job it is to supervise and coordinate
>officials of whatever league the officials are from.
>
>P.S. I'm not saying officials should be immune from complaints. If
>players have a problem, they should talk with their coach. But fans
>should not have a say.

As a hockey official for the past 18 years, I'd have to qualify the above
response a bit. I too agree that a fan has little or no say in how the official
conducts himself during the game.  On the other hand, an officials conduct
before and after the game, if inappropriate, should be brought to the attention
of his supervisors.  I know in some leagues I've refereed, there were strict
quidelines on behavior prior to and after a game.  If a referee crosses these
boundries, then I'd agree that a fan does have a reason for complaining.

Rick