Sender:
From:
Ronald Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 1994 11:14:39 -0400
Despite the lack of information in Providence to the contrary, PC really
is searching for a new head coach.  Kurt Kleinendorst had been one of the
leading contenders for the position.  This morning's Providence Journal
squashed that idea.  The following is reprinted without permission:

     Kleinendorst headed to San Diego Gulls
   Raleigh, NC -- Kurt Kleinendorst, the Grand Rapids, Mich. native who
played hockey at Providence College from 1979-83 has resigned as coach of
the Raleigh IceCaps in the East Coast Hockey League to become an assistant
coach with the San Diego Gulls in the International Hockey League.
   Kleinendorst, one of four captains and an All-American for the Friars
in 1982-83, was a leading candidate for the vacant head coaching position
at Providence College.
*** End quoted material

   So the search continues.  From what little I've heard, the field is
rumored to contain 3 individuals:  Tim Army, currently with the Mighty
Ducks and a former PC assistant coach under Mike McShane; Tim Sheehan,
currently head coach at LaSalle Academy (a fairly successful high school
program in Rhode Island); and Steve Sterling, currently head coach at
Babson (sp?) College and the former head coach at Providence College.
Sterling is (from what I've heard) the leading candidate right now.  Under
his direction, the Friars went to the Championship Game in Detroit before
dropping a 2-1 decision to RPI back in 1985.  The Friars won the first
Hockey East Championship that year in the famous "Terreri Game".  Some
might argue (including myself) that it was not Sterling but one
outstanding goaltender that took a mediocre Friar team to the Championship
Game.
   I'll post more when PC finally decides on a head coach.

-- Ron