Sender:
From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 1994 09:29:39 -0400
> Dryden during his collegiate career:

Actually the reason I posted this was it was the only hat trick scored on
Ken during his entire career, both college and pro.  This fact I found
unbelieveable.

> Al Karlander of Michigan Tech scored all three Michigan Tech goals in the
> Huskies' 4-3 overtime loss to Cornell in the semifinal game of the NCAA
> tournament at the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs on March 14,
> 1969. Cornell won the game on defenseman Gordie Lowe's unassisted goal 1:40
> into sudden death. Dryden had 43 saves to Gordie McRae's 38.

 Arthur has the correct answer here, only one thing to add, Al Karlander's
first goal was scored at the :07 second mark of the first period, An NCAA
playoff mark that still stands to this date.

A few other huskie facts from the book:

on March 17, 1960  MTU beat St Lawrence 13-3 in an NCAA semi final game.
The 5 goals scored in 2:51 seconds is still an NCAA record.

On Dec 12, 1960 MTU defeats denver 3-2 in houghton, overcoming a 2-0 first
period deficiet.  This was Denvers only LOSS of the year in a 30-1-1 season.

On March 19, 1965  MTu wins its second NCAA championship 4-0 over Brown.
Goaltender Rick Best becomes the first to record an NCAA tournament shutout.

On dec 27, 1976  MTU meets Minn for the 3rd consecutive year in the NCAA
championship game.  Its the only time in NCAA history that 2 scools have
met for 3 consecutive title games.

ON dec 29, 1984 a crowd of 21,756, the largest (at the time, don't know
if it still stands) crowd ever to witness a hockey game in north america,
watches MTU and MSU play in a GLI game in Joe Louis arena.  I put this one
in cause I was at this game! ;-)

And last but in MY MIND  MOST IMPORTANT:

August, 1991  The MTU Board of control approves renaming the Student Ice Arena
after John MacInnes.  Following John's instructions that if the rink was ever
renamed in his honor that the word "STUDENT" must remain in the name as they
were the ones who voted the extra fees to build it, The rink was renamed:

   The John J. MacInnes STUDENT Ice Arena

Bob