Sender:
From:
Michael Patrick Bresina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 04:02:26 -0600
>  by Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>

>    As for the "why should the players on the offending team suffer"
>    theory - I don't buy it.  What penalty would be OK?  Fines?  No, that
>    would adversely affect students not even associated with the program.
>    Reduced scholarships?  No, that penalizes players in future years.

Curiously absent from this list are any sanctions against the administrator(s)
responsible for the situation.

Remember, failing to notify either Walsh or Tardif of the discovery was the
only act that even approached premeditation.  This was undisputedly in the
lap of the athletic director.

>    Bottom line: when you are a member of an organization that breaks the
>    rules, you participate in the sacrifice.

A distinction must be made between the natural result of actions and the
the deliberate imposition of punitive action by an outside party.

>                                              If my company is thrown out
>    of a critical government bid because of violations that I had nothing
>    to do with, I will suffer.

If your position is naturally dependent upon winning the contract, this is
a natural result, and unavoidable.  That description does not apply to the
Maine situation, where the team is opposing an arbitrary decision.

>                                Not fair, perhaps, but it is reality.

The existence of unfortunate circumstances elsewhere does not mitigate
the responsibility to resolve this situation in an equitable manner.

        " ... the courage to change the things I can ... "

>                                                                       It
>    also might make me think about finding another company (assuming that
>    choice isn't made for me).

Would it take that?  My decision to stay with such a company would not be
based on any penalties.  It would be based on the company's response;
the scalpel is mightier than the sword, if it is accompanied by the wisdom
to use it effectively.

>    Q? Did the Maine team benefit from having an ineligible player.  Are
>    the players members of the team?  Did they benefit?

These questions are not relevant.  Passively gaining from an act out of
one's control hardly constitutes an actionable offense.

>    Jon

Cheers,

Mike

|  Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |