Sender:
From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 1994 13:27:56 -0500
Just some more comments about this...I got home around 1 am and called the
Globe sports desk, so that's how I heard about it.

I think it's a shame that the team must pay the price for errors made by
athletic department administrators. I agree with what others on the list
have suggested--that economic sanctions may have been a more effective
punishment. However, I also respect the decision made by the athletic
directors of the Hockey East schools. I feel the fact that was a third offense
warranted, in their minds, (and also in mine) punishment more severe than if
this had only been a first offense. It is good to see that they agreed on
a suitable action and are standing behind it. It sends a strong message
to other teams and other leagues as well.

Structurally, this was a difficult problem to deal with. I'm sure the
conference call between HE ADs got emotional and trying at times, which
probably explains why they deliberated some 2+ hours. However, to me, this
was not the kind of problem that could have been taken lightly. It's easy
for us now to say they should have received economic sanctions, and I think
that's an option worth exploring in the future. But the ADs were faced with
making a decision that represented the league's best interests in a timely
manner, and they did that. I don't believe there is precedent in college
hockey for slapping an offending school with economic sanctions.

I also think the ADs may have looked at what the potential scenario that
involved Maine. Maine would have (or could have) played at BU in the opening
round, they could have advanced to the HE championship tournament..possibly
even made the NC$$ tourney. What kind of message would it send to have Maine
play in the post-season, even after they had three (3) recruiting violations
in one season and had to forfeit 20 games? It would say that athletic
departments and teams alike can dismiss any responsibility for their actions
and still qualify for post-season play (where they are can receive
national exposure and extra revenue from the tournaments). In college football
and basketball a school may not have been hit with such punishment. But this
is college hockey, and I think the fact that such behavior is not tolerated
attests to the integrity and pride of the people involved with the sport.

I would add one more comment about Maine considering a restraining order
or other legal action against Hockey East: drop it. While Maine may not
agree with the punishment, the decision has been made by the league's
governing body. Maine should accept it and walk out of this season with their
heads held high. There's no more to it--just accept it and move on towards
next season.

Should Maine decide to move with some legal action against the league, then
they should be prepared to suffer the consequences. A legal defeat for Maine
would be humiliating and embarrassing. I think just suggesting legal action
against the league is stretching the limits. If Maine went through with it,
the matter most likely would not be decided until well after the season was
over. Getting a restraining order would simply send the message that Maine
still can't accept responsibility for their actions. It would not be a
class move.

Just a few weeks ago, we saw an Olympic women's figure skater, in the face
of mounting evidence that may have disqualified her, file a lawsuit that
left the Olympic Committee with no choice but to back down and allow her
to compete. I think it is a shame that people simply refuse to accept
responsibility for their actions. So, when they feel they're being unfairly
treated (which is an inevitable fact of life), they file some outrageous
lawsuit to intimidate those who made the decision...and frighten them into
changing their minds. But in the course of that, a tremendous amount of
respect and admiration is lost...   Does Maine *really* want to stoop to this
level? Is it really worth it? I ask that reconsider this course of action,
and retain some saving grace for the Maine hockey team. They've already
been punished enough.

--Robert A. (Sid) Whitaker