Sender:
From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 1994 02:29:20 -0600
Just a note on the question of intentionally causing a penalty.  It is true
that a skater on a breakaway will often be hooked down to avoid the break
in.  In "blatant cases", the shooter is awarded a penalty shot instead of
just the two minute minor, at the discretion of the ref.  This is somewhat
analogous to the "intentional foul" rule in basketball that awards two
shots instead of a 1-and-1 when someone purposely hacks an opponent to stop
a shot or (more often) the clock.

While watching the olympics, I learned that in the final two minutes of
regulation (and during all of overtime), pushing the net off of its
moorings results in an automatic penalty shot.  Again, this is
international rules, not NCAA, but that makes good sense to me.  Without
having witnessed the BU-Maine play, it seems that deliberately throwing a
man on the ice to stop a 2-on-1 in overtime is worthy of a penalty shot (or
a "penalty 2-on-1" perhaps?).  The last second too many men penalty should
have been called by the refs, period.  After the game is over, it's over.
As far as "cheating" goes, this sneakiness strikes me as being like
"stealing the deal" in the card game hearts.  More common "cheating" is
getting an extra change of lines on a face off to match up against the
opponent -- the opposing coach is always on the lookout for that, and I've
seen players sent back to the bench by the refs (after complaints) many
times.

In an ideal world, I suppose, no-one would take dives to draw penalties
either... Such is human nature and such is hockey.

FOOTNOTE ON THE WCHA RACE:  Wisconsin is in first place, with all of its
remaining games at home.  But who knows what will happen -- this race is as
wide open as ever....

-===-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-===-