From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 1994 09:46:34 CST
John Hauessler writes:

>Next, regarding the Spartans 4-2 GLI loss to Michigan, Mason said...

>  "This tournament has lost its luster.  It used to be the only time we came
>to the Joe Louis Arena was this tournament.  But not anymore.  It isn't
>special to us anymore.  But give Michigan credit.  They point to this and
>take pride in winning here."

>Hmmm.  I was under the impression that coaches took pride in winning, no
>matter where it occurred.  I guess not.  Maybe someone should call Bob
>Mancini at Michigan Tech and tell him not to worry about MTU's 3-2 OT loss
>to the Spartans, because it didn't mean anything.  And since the GLI is
>Tech's tourney (with Michigan the current co-host), why bother even inviting
>MSU if Mason doesn't really give a damn?  Attendance will still be high with
>MTU and UM.  Add two of the following: Bowling Green, Lake Superior,
>Northern Michigan, Notre Dame -- it'll still be a great tournament.

>While we're at it, someone should call Mason, who complained vehemently
>about being snubbed for the NC$$ tourney last season, and remind him that
>the reason MSU didn't get in was their 0-1-0 head-to-head record versus
>Northern Michigan.  The Wildcats beat the Spartans at the GLI.

Having heard similar comments first-person last season, It appears Mason
 is talking about his team, rather than the coaching staff. There is a certain
 sense of tradition that Spartan hockey lost somewhere along the road,
and Mason and his staff are trying to reclaim it.

Last season, before the team left for Alaska and again at the GLI, Mason
 commented that the practice of going to two holiday tournaments in the
past few years (GW Freezeout, etc.)  had affected their play at what the
 second, more "traditional" tournament, while Michigan had concentrated
 on the GLI and made it their own. MSU now attends only the GLI during
the Christmas break (though this decision was also prompted by MSU's
switch to semesters from trimesters).

Also, Mason said last year his team "no longer knew what it meant to
 play Michigan" after last season's 11-1 embarrassment at JLA. In the
 past few seasons MSU had recruited from all over the place (illinois
HS, for pete's sake! Scott Dean...sheesh!). But take a close look at this
 year's freshmen...all but one (Tony Tuzzolino, E. Amherst, NY) have
roots in Michigan. The only non-Michigan recruit that came in for an
official visit that State missed out on was JF Houle. Harold Schock was
 also given a loooooong look, but opted for UM.

Believe me, Mason is always proud to win and always hates to lose
(especially 11-1 to Berenson). But apparently his current crop doesn't
 have a hold of the tradition of  what was "Munn East" (it's now Yost
East...or even Norris South) anymore. Whether that is the fault of the
coaches is in question.