From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 91 09:23:14 -0500
Bill Fenwick writes:
> Incidentally, the ECAC committee had a rule requiring all of its playoff
> teams to have at least a .500 league record, which means that since Platts-
> burgh State is on NCAA probation, there would have been only seven teams in
> the tournament.  Rather than give Mercyhurst a first-round bye, the
> selection committee decided to waive the requirement and allow Cortland
> State to participate.

ECAC III East did the same by allowing Bowdoin into the playoffs with
an 8-11-2 conference record.  From what I have heard, ECAC III has
been getting pressure from schools that were upset the #1 seed would
get a first round bye.  It was never a problem in the past: Last year
Babson received a first round bye then lost 5-2 to AIC in the semifinals.

>                        Wouldn't it be poetic justice or something if
> Cortland were to win it all?

I can see it now ... Cortland (10-12-1) wins ECAC III West;
Bowdoin (8-11-2) wins ECAC East!

Some more notes on the ECAC III E playoff seedings:
  #1 Middlebury
  #2 Babson
  #3 Salem St.
  #4 UMass-Boston
  #5 Williams
  #6 UConn
  #7 AIC
  #8 Bowdoin

Like the ECAC West, some of the ECAC East seedings are hard to
explain.  Williams finished 7th compared to AIC's 6th place finish.
More confusing is Babson's seeding over Salem St.  Salem St. has the
2nd best record while Babson has only the 5th best.  Does anyone have
any insight as to their seedings?  What was their head-to-head record?

Well, I'm just glad struggling Bowdoin managed to squeak into the
playoff picture.  Now after they upset Middlebury tonight ... :-)

Pete
GO U BEARS!

Again, thanks go to the folks at Bowdoin keeping me up to date!