From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1993 23:56:06 EDT
This isn't quite the first time that the RPI Inv had what was considered to
be a less than desirable field...for example, in 87-88, the field was
McGill, Holy Cross, and US International. And in 86-87, it was UAF, Ferris,
and Merrimack - and RPI lost the consolation to Merrimack that year.  The
last time I was present was 89-90 when the field was Merrimack, Brown, and
then DivIII Union.  So I don't think this field (UML, UMass, Army) is that
different from the past, though there have been some better groups of teams
in some of the recent years.

Speaking as a relatively objective observer who has been there both on the
RPI side (85-86, field: DivIII RIT, indep UAF, LSSU) and on the other side,
I think what we are seeing is indicative of a deeper problem that prohibits
the organizers from bringing in some of the better teams.  I agree that the
tourney is well-run and of course, it is prestigious in that it is the
oldest invitational in college hockey.  But we now have so many tournaments
and many are held in places like Alaska and LA, and teams want to take
advantage of the holidays to play in places that just have more appeal
than traveling to Troy.  I can say that because I spent a year of my life
there. :-)

Also, it is much harder to attract some of the Western teams (I think
Jayson mentioned to me that North Dakota was a candidate this year) because
they have so few nonleague games available.  Most of the very attractive
teams end up receiving invites to other tourneys like the GLI, the Badger
Showdown, the Freezeout, the Nissan Classic, etc. and that pretty much uses
up their 2-4 nonleague games.

The way for RPI to go may be to work out home and home agreements like the
one with Maine, where RPI goes to a tourney one year and in return, they
invite the host (or one of the competitors) to the RPI Inv the next year.
The appearance of Maine next year may result in more of an interest by
teams to play in the Inv, I don't know.  I do think it would be a shame to
see the tourney fall by the wayside because of its rich tradition and
history as well as the great enthusiasm the fans there show.

Just a thought: I wonder if RPI has considered moving the tourney to the
Knick.  That might elevate interest and help draw fans from all over NY.
Jayson also mentioned to me that they were considering getting a sponsor,
and that could help in this area.  I don't think a move to the Knick would
be possible without the combination of a sponsor and a commitment by some
nationally recognized teams, however.  94-95 might be the time to do it
with Maine making an appearance.  It would also draw attention to the Knick
as a site for other college hockey action (e.g. NC$$s).
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
alternate address days: [log in to unmask]             *HMN*  11/13/93
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)