From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1993 19:36:30 -0400
So it's UMass-Lowell, UMass-Amherst, and Army that visit the Field House
this year. I thought they'd at least take a Canadian team into consideration
if this was going to be the result.

Well, differences aside, I can't help but find this disappointing when
you consider the tournament's "mission." I remember seeing it years ago,
and it was basically that the tournament's objective was to bring
outstanding teams from across the country to the Field House for the
enjoyment of the fans, especially teams that might not otherwise
appear on RPI's schedule.

Now, I don't have an RPI media guide, but I do know that in one of those
dusty old display cases in the Field House lobby is a plaque or cup
or something with the names of all the previous tournament winners on it.
It's pretty impressive--the Minnesotas, Michigans, Wisconsins, etc.
(Of course, BU won the thing once or twice but I'll spare the details :-)
The bottom line is that it used to give everyone in Troy a chance to see
some of the high-cailbre teams from across the nation....when I was
growing up in Troy, it was something that was really looked forward to,
and the non-RPI games still drew a pretty good crowd.

But now, for at least the 3rd time in the last 6 years, UMass-Lowell is
in this thing? I mean, no offense, but I don't think folks in Troy
would complain too much about a little variation. Maine in '94
seems to be step in the right direction, but that's no consolation for
this year. Maybe it means planning a little earlier for future tournaments.

Of course, the elimination of the Auld Lang Syne will free up Dartmouth,
UVM, and UNH, and at least one of the Boston-area teams around the
holidays. Who knows....

--Sid Whitaker
Boston University '94