Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 09:26:46 -0500
>My biggest concern tonight was with the reffing.  I don't really know what is
>wrong with Harry Ammian, but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder when it
>comes to reffing RPI.  He and Rob Hearn were fairly pathetic for most of the
>game, though they did make some good calls late in the game to dispel any
>potential fights.  I was duly unimpressed with the overall quality of this
>weekend's reffing, though perhaps that is simply a reflection of the two teams
>who were playing.

Well, I've seen Ammian ref here too and he calls a ton of penalties. Always
has. I remember one game where 15 (non-scrum related) penalties were called;
14 of them were called by Ammian. He is a good AHL linesman but as an
ECAC ref...

>I have to once again reiterate my feelings towards the Colgate hockey team.  I
>have very little respect for their style of hockey.  This team is basically
>made up of guys who are slower and heavier than most of the ECAC and they make
>up for their deficiencies by clutching, grabbing, and generally roughing up
>the opposing team.  I don't want to be totally unfair since RPI did it's fair
>share of roughing, especially on Friday night, but Colgate is much worse than
>the Engineers.  To make my point, Jon Pirrong was clobbered over the head as
>he stood next to Colgate's Marcel Reauchard (sp?) awaiting a face-off.  Yes,
>it was one of the best drawn penalties of the weekend, but it also very clearly
>showed the mentality of this Colgate hockey team.  Sorry if I offended
>anyone. :-)

Well, they aren't that talented in speed or stickhandling so they have
to play a physical style to have any success. Maybe you don't like it
but it's helped them recover from a horrendous start to finish 9th. It
also helped them to wins over the likes of UVM, Clarkson and RPI.

>For those of you planning on going to Lake Placid I would greatly appreciate
>info on any places that I might possibly stay overnight.  Also, any of you
>interested in getting together Friday night after the games or on Saturday
>during the day, please e-mail me so we can make arrangements.

Tip of the week for anyone going to Placid: Don't stay in the village.
I heard almost all of the rooms are booked and the ones left are
prohibitively expensive. Try and stay in a motel in nearby (~5 miles) Saranac
Lake or some little town you pass thru and is near Placid on your way up.

>SEE YOU IN LAKE PLACID!!!

You got it.