From:
BOB STRONG <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BOB STRONG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1993 08:14:46 EST
I am one of the fortunate ones who HAS been in the locker room when
Shawn Walsh speaks to the Maine hockey team.  In fact, thanks to Scott
Pellerin I once was on the bench for an entire game and heard Walsh's
comments pre-game, during the intermissions, and post-game.
     Prior to the game I was chatting with a Maine player when Walsh
called for quiet in the locker room.  The player I was with whispered
to me "This is the best part."  He was clearly impressed with his
coach's ability to communicate and motivate.
     In reviewing a videotape with the team, he was very analytical,
getting into technical detail that I (as a non-player) simply could
not follow.  Pointing out defensive lapses or casual offense, he also
used very "non-technical" language that I, and everyone else, understood
quite clearly.
     One thing Shawn understands better than most coaches is that he
is not coaching adult NHL players.  Rather, many of his players are
still 18 or 19 year old adolescents and need a father's discipline
instead of a coach's persuasion.  Maine has played teams with enormous
individual talent but poor team discipline, and the fault for this
lies squarely in the opposing coach's lap.
     I graduated from West Point, have heard pep talks from drill
sergeants and from four-star generals, and know for certain that
Coach Walsh can teach anyone something about leadership, motivation,
and what college coaching is all about.