Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1992 07:30:44 PST
heavens to betsy!  methinks we're over-analyzing this Maine team name
just a little bit here.  Black or blue?  Who cares?

I think they are the Black Bears to distinguish themselves from "Bears" in
general.  "Bears" inherently refers to ALL bears, including ones like Winnie
the Pooh and Breezely Bruin, neither of whom would make an intimidating mascot.
By making the reference specifically to the fierce and mighty Black Bears, who
have been known to gore campers with a single paw-swipe,
they effectively eliminate all association with Gummi Bears, Care Bears,
etc.  :-)

If any outdoorsmen have issues with my assessment, please e-mail me privately.
:-)  (or outdoorswomen)

   :-)    :-)    happy holidays!

Ross